“Looking for a Veterinary Surgeon Job in Bengaluru? Check out this Opportunity!”-Veterinary Surgeon Job
Sarvoham is a non-profit organization dedicated to caring for animals in Bangalore, India. It was established in April 2017 its mission is to ‘Rescue, Shelter, Protect & Rehome.’ Currently, Sarvoham is home to 200+ dogs, many of whom were abandoned, lost or too old to survive by themselves.
Job Position: Veterinary Surgeon
Job Location: Bengaluru, India
Under general supervision, to plan, coordinate and provide routine and emergency medical treatment services and to manage the overall health of animals housed at the Sarvoham animal shelter.
- Directs, coordinates and performs the screening, diagnosis and emergency medical treatment for animals in the shelter;
- Performs or directs the visual monitoring of impounded animals, including those that may be isolated or quarantined for signs and symptoms of illness or unusual behaviour;
- Performs surgical procedures, including spaying and neutering;
- Preparing the medical records of the inpatient and permanent shelter animals; vaccinating (9 in 1 and Anti-Rabies) and deworming on the due dates;
- Repeat CBC and LFT & RFT for the inpatient animals and shelter permanent animals once in a month;
- Maintains animal medical records to track their care and health conditions in the respective files;
- Updating the treatment records of the patients with treatment, supplements, care, comfort & any special diet or any special care is required;
- Establishes and implements written medical treatment protocols;
- Effectively communicate the condition and status of animals with staff and the general public;
- Advises staff on matters within the veterinary field;
- Place medicine purchase orders;
- Monitors, maintains and provides quality control of drugs used at the shelter and in the field;
- Train appropriate staff in administering first aid, and vaccinations and performing other paramedical duties;
- Coordinates with the animal shelter Manager regarding euthanasia of animals that are irremediably suffering from serious illness or severe injury;
- Advises on procedures to maintain a comprehensive disease prevention program for the animal shelter;
- Releasing pets post recovery based on physical condition and ability to survive on the streets without human interference;
- Informing the owners of the pet(s) where the pet has deceased or euthanized and explaining the cause of death;
- Maintain any medical machinery, equipment and devices on routine basis according to the standards;
- Feeding supplements to the inpatient pets based on medical condition and writing the same in the treatment record, (Morning and evening);
- Writing the temperatures of the inpatient, including those under critical condition in the respective treatment record, (Morning and evening);
- Updating the pet parents on the condition of the pet as and when requested by pet parent;
- Updating relevant pet medical records such as released, euthanized, death etc. in RMS (Rescue Management System);
- Physical check-up of the shelter animals for any ticks and fleas, wounds or any other clinical sign of unwell- once in a week, every Monday;
- Coordinate with the medical staff or subordinates related to medical tasks completion on daily basis;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge of Veterinary Surgeon Job
- State and municipal animal health laws, regulations and ordinances governing the impounding, care, and treatment of animals;
- Principles and practices of veterinary medicine;
- Treatment, prevention and control of the common diseases of animals;
- Fundamental principles and methods of clinical diagnosis;
- Physical and behavioral characteristics of domestic animals;
- Common computer applications including word processing and spreadsheets;
- Standard office practices, procedures, and office machines;
- Safety regulations and safe work practices;
- Mathematical computations such as calculating proportions, percentages, volume, ratios, fractions;
- Accurate record keeping.
Ability to Veterinary Surgeon Job
- Examine, evaluate and treat shelter animals in a professional and efficient manner;
- Perform high-quality animal surgeries in a fast-paced environment;
- Administer tests for diseases in animals and interpret results;
- Handle animals (including aggressive and/or feral animals) safely, properly, and humanely;
- Develop and implement goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for medical staff;
- Operate relevant medical equipment;
- Make sound medical decisions that include prescribing medications and euthanasia of animals that are irremediably suffering from serious illness or severe injury;
- Train staff on basic paramedical duties and to rapidly identify animals requiring isolation or veterinary care;
- Develop and establish medical standards/procedures for the maintenance of healthy/safe/sanitary facilities;
- Explain rules and regulations governing care and treatment of animals to staff, volunteers and the general public;
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in animal shelter medicine;
- Write reports, and business correspondence, and assist in developing policies and procedures;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
- Maintain accurate physical and electronic records.
Employment Standards for Veterinary Surgeon Job
- Possession of a Doctor of Veterinary Surgery Degree from an accredited college or university, AND Three (3) years of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of animals in a clinical setting, private practice or animal shelter environment that includes performing surgery.
- Experience as a Veterinarian in an animal shelter is strongly preferred.
Who can apply?
- Strong communication in English and Hindi (Verbal & Written) and interpersonal skills
- Quick Learner in all organizational processes
- Good presentation skills
- Kind and passionate approach skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office skills
- Professional attitude and appearance
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
- Excellent organizational skills
- Time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
If the above assignment and work practice are exciting to you, then apply. We will invite a video call meeting for shortlisted candidates.